(USA) Updating the SSA after divorce
Start by updating your name with the SSA before any other records. Complete the SSA-5 form ‘Application for a Social Security Card’. Show proof of your legal name change which can be;
- Court order approving the new name, or
- Divorce decree listing old and new names, or
- Certificate of Naturalization showing the new name, or
- Divorce decree that does not list both names, but you can show additional documents
- If the document does not provide enough information for you to be iden...